Monday, April 9, 2012

Emilie Autumn's show

I've been waiting to see Emilie Autumn live since a friend of mine introduced me to EA's music about two years ago. When I heard that she'll perform in Helsinki I of course had to buy the tickets. I went there with a friend and luckily we actually found the place and got quite good place in front of the stage. We wanted to buy the 'Fight Like a Girl' - tour shirts before the actual show, in case they'd be sold out after. They were also selling different kinds of shirts, some of them featuring the Bloody Crumpets, perfume, posters etc. We got in around 9pm, but EA started performing closer to 11pm.
I must say that the show was incredible as expected. It's just so much more than a 'concert'. For those who aren't familiar with her music or live performances, basically Emilie Autumn sings and plays an electric violin on the stage, while the Bloody Crumpets perform and do some backup vocals. The Bloody Crumpets are all female and more of travelling circus companions than backup vocalists, showing their various skills on stage. Same members aren't present in all shows, this time we had Naughty Veronica, Captain Maggot and Blessed Contessa. Veronica is my favourite and I love her 'Rat Game'.
The show was amazing and also very fun. Unfortunately some people in the audience didn't have a clue of how to behave, but that didn't bother me much. So yeah, thank you EA, the Bloody Crumpets and all the little plague rats & muffins out there!



Here's a picture of the tour shirt I bought (front). It was so cool, I'm obsessed with the picture. The tour dates and locations are written on the back of the shirt with a golden font. I would've loved to have the Contessa-shirt aswell, as it had a realistic heart picture on it. I had to save some money to get home, so I decided to go for this one only. Maybe next time.


Completely unrelated to the live performance, but I started watching all the Studio Ghibli movies I have together with my sister. We just noticed that they're like four times cheaper here in Finland than in Japan and bought quite many of them (at least 10 I suppose). I was thinking about writing short plot summaries and a review of all those we have after watching them. I think I've seen them all before, but I liked some of them better after re-watching. We've already watched a few of them, but I'll only write about the first one this time. The plot summary contains some spoilers, but isn't too detailed.
So we watched 'The Borrower Arrietty' (2010) (in Japanese), telling the story of a young borrower, Arrietty, living under a house with her and borrowing everything necessary from the humans living there. A young boy called Shou, who has a heart disease moves to the house and sees Arrietty, whose family is not happy to be exposed to humans. As the story moves on, Shou and Arrietty become friends and together save Arrietty's mother who has been captured by a maid living in the house.   In the end, Arrietty's family decide to leave the house and look for a new home, Shou's heart operation will take place two days later. Shou says that seeing the borrower's fight to survive has given him hope to make it through the operation, though it's never revealed whether he survived or not.
I liked this movie very much and I thought it was a beautiful story about the friendship between a human and something 'weaker than a human' (personally I think that Arrietty represents the nature and all other living things). The movie also showed how someone that might be weak even in their own eyes compared to others (Shou, having a severe heart condition) can do good and save someone else. I think the movie tried to make us think about the coexistence of humans and nature, and how we should respect all the living things.
I found the movie interesting, and it definitely had a deeper meaning as many Ghibli movies do. While the plot was interesting, it was quite light and easy to watch. The end was quite touching, and while it was a happy ending, not everything was resolved. The music was nicely composed and fit for the movie. 

Overall I'd give the movie 5/5 stars and would recommend it for anyone interested in this kind of movies (this movie is also suitable for younger watchers). 

That's all for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment